- Transaminasa glutámico oxalacética, GOT,
- Aspartato aminotransferasa, AST.
The GOT is an enzyme with big concentration in the heart, in the liver and the muscles. When there is an injury of these organs the enzyme is liberated to the blood and she turns out to be raised in the analyses.
WHY IS THIS STUDY REALIZED?
It is realized in the context of other hepatic tests (GammaGT, GPT, Bilirrubina, fosfatasa alkaline) and is used to evaluate problems or alterations of the liver. His elevation is straight proportional to the cellular damage and it can serve like indicative of the evolution of the illness.
Also it is used like warning parameter of cardiac injury in the context of other cardiac parameters (CPK, LDH), like indicator of cardiac injury by a myocardium infarction. His maximum value is reached at 12 p.m. after the infarction, and tends to go down in 3 to 4 days if the cardiac injury yields. If he persists high the fact is that the infarction is progressing to worse.
SKILL OF ACHIEVEMENT
It is necessary at least 4 hours of ayunas before to the analysis.
The intense physical exercise can raise the levels. It is necessary to bear in mind as well as certain medicines can alter his values, the medicines raise them for the hypertension, the oral anticoagulants, the digitalis, the eritromicina, the contraceptive oral ones, the aspirin, and other medicines of hepatic metabolism.
It can appear under the level in the pregnancy, in shortcomings of vitamins, in the diabetic cetoacidosis, etc...
It is possible to realize the capture in an appropriate place (consultation, clinic, hospital) but sometimes it is realized in the proper domicile of the patient.
- To realize the capture it is needed of locating an appropriate vein and in general there are used the veins placed in the flexura of the elbow. The person entrusted to take the sample will use sanitary gloves, a needle (with a syringe or pipe of extraction).
- It will put a tortor (tape of gum - latex) in the arm so that the veins retain more blood and turn out to be more visible and accessible.
- It will clean the area of the prick with an antiseptic one and by means of a palpación it will locate the appropriate vein and will gain access to her with the needle. They will release the tortor.
- When the blood flows for the needle the sanitary one will realize an aspiration (by means of the syringe or by means of the application of a pipe with gap).
- On having finished the capture, it extracts the needle to itself and the area is pressed with a cotton or similar torunda to favor the coagulation and it will indicate him to itself that flexione the arm and the area pressed with a Band-Aid supports for some hours.
- The abstracted blood moves to the analysis laboratory in a special pipe for biochemistry, which contains an anticoagulant product. In general more than 10 milliliters of blood are not usually necessary for a standard battery of biochemical parameters.
PROBLEMS AND POSSIBLE RISKS
NORMAL VALUES OF TRANSAMINASA GOT
- The securing by means of a prick of the vein can produce certain pain.
- The possible difficulty in finding the appropriate vein can give place to several pricks
- Appearance of a haematoma (bruise or cardinal) in the extraction area, is due usually to the fact that the vein has not closed well after the later pressure and blood has kept on going out producing this problem. Type Hirudoid can apply an ointment to itself ® or Trombocid ® in the area.
- Inflammation of the vein (phlebitis), sometimes the vein turns out to be shaken, well be for a cause merely physically or why it has become infected. It will have to support the relaxed area a few days and type Hirudoid can apply an ointment to itself ® or Trombocid ® in the area. If the problem persists or appears fever will have to consult it with his doctor.
In these values there can be certain differences for the skill or for proper criteria of normality of concrete laboratories, sometimes in the status of values and other times for the units to which one alludes.
EVALUATION OF ABNORMAL RESULTS
The developing GOT levels can indicate:
- Anemia hemolítica
- Colestasis (obstruction of biliary route)
- Muscular dystrophies
- Illnesses muculares
- Viral infections (mononucleosis...)
- Myocardium infarction
- Interventions of cardiac surgery
- Hepatic Isquemia
- Poisonous medicines of the liver
- Hepatic Necrosis
- Sharp Pancreatitis
- Muscular traumatism
- Hepatic tumor
The diminished GOT levels can indicate:
- Diabetic Cetoacidosis
- Renal illnesses
TO KNOW MORE
TO SEE ALSO
WHAT DOCTOR CAN TREAT ME?